June 20, 1988
Early Transportation Remembered
The trolley car came to the Hoxie-Walnut Ridge area around 1900. It was founded and established by Col. W. M. Ponder, and continued to serve the local citizens until the 1930's.
The car traveled from south Hoxie at the railroad yards and continued to the Higginbotham block in Walnut Ridge, where an ice house was located. The trolley route laid near the railroad where Highway 67 runs now. At one time this was a dirt road and was later graveled.
The trolley car was in great demand by the railroad men and others.
The car was pulled by mules through the two towns in the early days, but with electricity came improvement.
In the early days, around 1900, buggies and good riding horses were used for transportation. By 1924 a few cars buzzed the streets of Hoxie.
Ralph Lehman's Studabaker car agency was located across from the service station at the 4-way stop on Highway 67. There was also a tin building that housed a weekly newspaper many years ago.
Taxis, and lots of them, met the trains at Hoxie, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They parked beside the cafe five and six at a time.
With the stock market crash in the 30's many people were put on foot due to expenses. Hoxie had good sidewalks so people walked or skated to their destinations.
After the street car came the bus, which was owned and driven by Mr. John Stewart. Bus fare was ten cents from Warner's Drug Store to Walnut Ridge. He ran the bus every hour for 12 hours a day.
During winter months Mr. Stewart built a fire in a stove and put the vent pipe out a window to heat the bus. Summer months were hot so all the windows were put down to just let your hair blow.
From: Centinennial Edition 1888-1988 HOXIE, ARKANSAS. 20 June 1988